To be eligible for a Federal Work-Study award, a student must meet the requirements for need-based aid, as determined by the Department of Education, be enrolled at least half-time (5.5 credit hours), maintain good academic standing (Satisfactory Academic Progress); and have all required forms completed and approved by the Financial Aid Office.
All persons working in the United States must prove they are eligible to work; thus an I-9 form is required prior to you applying for any sort of Federal Work-Study job. For tax purposes you also must complete a W-4 form. A list of acceptable identification documents are listed on the back of the I-9 form, and you must make an appointment and bring the identification with you so that we can complete the verification process.
Both the Student Federal Work-Study Policies & Procedures as well as the Agreement Form are completed online, at the time you apply for a job. The system is set up to require you to review and acknowledge these forms before it will allow you to move to the next page (which is the actual job application).
Students may earn up to the amount listed term-by-term on their Award Notification Letter. As the funds are earned via an hourly wage, they are disbursed directly to students in the form of a monthly paycheck from NUNM. Please remember: You may NOT earn more than you have been awarded. If you do work over and above what you have been awarded, you risk losing all future work-study privileges and/or reduction in future award(s).
Once you have completed ALL of the required forms you will be approved to apply for a Federal Work-Study job. Here are the easy steps for finding and applying for a work-study job:
- Go to the Work-Study Jobs page.
- If you find a job that is appealing to you, contact the Supervisor FIRST. Do not apply online without doing so, as both you and the supervisor need to make sure it will be a good fit.
- If you and the supervisor agree to work together, go back to the Work-Study Jobs page and apply for the position by clicking the apply link within the actual job. Remember: You must acknowledge the Policies and Procedure Manual and Student Participation Agreement at this time. You must complete this step before you will be allowed to apply for the job.
- Once you apply for a job you will get a “hire form” sent to your NUNM student mailbox. The form must be signed by both you and your new supervisor, and then returned to the NUNM Financial Aid Office for processing.
- Once Financial Aid has processed your hire form you will get an email confirmation sent to your NUNM student email account. At this point you can start work and begin to track your hours via the online time sheet system: Timesheet X
Time sheet deadlines and due dates are posted live on the main page of the Timesheet X system.
Have More Questions? If you have remaining questions or need assistance, please contact the Financial Aid Office at email@example.com or make an appointment to meet with a member of the Financial Aid Team.