The Brant Ashton Memorial Scholarship is a restricted fund of the National University of Natural Medicine, established in memory of Brant Ashton, whose passing came as a result of AIDS -related complications. As a gay man, Brant was keenly aware of the impact of HIV in the gay community. After his own diagnosis ofHIV , Brant left his successful business and moved from Toronto, Canada with his life partner to begin his training as a naturopathic physician at the National University of Natural (formerly College) Medicine in Portland, Oregon. Brant had a strong interest in homeopathy and wanted to pursue research in the treatment of AIDS .
The Brant Ashton Memorial Scholarship is available to full-time students of the National University of Natural Medicine. The scholarship is specifically established to assist those students whose studies include homeopathy and who also intend to do AIDS treatment and research, or work with those who have an HIV/AIDS related illness.
This needs-based scholarship is for current 4–Year ND, MSOM, MSiMR Program students entering their third year, 5–Year ND, MSiMR or MSOM program and 6–Year Dual–Track Program students entering their fourth year with a focus on AIDS/HIV.
All scholarships determined by financial need are based on needs analysis results from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA). All students receiving financial aid will have all scholarships included as part of their award package. We encourage all students to complete the FAFSA application online with the National University of Natural Medicine School Code of B07624.
- This scholarship is made available to all 4–Year Program students entering their third year, and 5–Year Program and 6–Year Dual–Track Program students entering their fourth year.
- Demonstrated interest and success in homeopathy courses.
- Demonstrated interest and success in HIV /AIDS related treatment and research.
$1000 awarded to one student for the 2017–2018 academic year.
Limit your answers to one page, or approximately 500 words for each question.
Special Essay Questions
- Propose a clinical treatment, a homeopathic regimen, for an HIV patient and defend your choice with analysis and assessment.
- Choose a research article and highlight the development this research has brought to the treatment of HIV/AIDS.