Federal Work-Study FAQs

How long do I have to find a job?

Your federal work-study award is allotted in a per term format. If you do not earn your full award in any given term there is a possibility it will be partially or fully cancelled so that the funds can be reallocated to another student.

How much will I get paid?

All NUNM federal work-study students are currently paid $16.00 per hour, with the exception of America Reads Tutors, who are paid $20.00 per hour.

When will I get paid?

You will get a paycheck on or about the first day of the month, following the month you worked and logged your hours. You can find all important payroll dates on the main page of the TimesheetX website.

Direct deposit is available and highly encouraged, otherwise, checks will be placed in student mailboxes or mailed to the address on file.

Direct deposit needs to set up in payroll system; PAYCOM. After you’ve been set up for work study, you should receive an email from PAYCOM to verify a checklist of your personal information. If you do not see the email come through, please contact Fox McGregor in Payroll: fmcgregor@nunm.edu

Will my work-study earnings be taxed?

Yes. This is a job and your earnings will be taxed.

Will my supervisor be flexible with my schedule?

Yes. Your supervisors know that your education is your priority and will work with you to create a plan that works around your class and study schedule. Though supervisors will be flexible, please keep in mind that like any other job, you will be expected to work the hours that you arrange with your supervisor.

Can I change jobs or have two work-study jobs at the same time?

Yes. You may work more than one job. However, please keep in mind that if you stop working a job you should inform the Financial Aid Office so that we can deactivate the job on your TimesheetX account.

Can I earn more money than is listed on my award notification?

No. You and your supervisor(s) must monitor your earnings very closely to be sure you do not over-earn your federal work-study award. If you have more than one job, you should let each supervisor know so your earnings can be monitored more accurately.

What if I am disqualified from receiving financial aid because of failure to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress?

You will lose all financial aid eligibility, including your work-study funds. Your supervisor will be notified that you can no longer work. If you submit an appeal and/or sign an academic contract and the program Dean approves you to continue enrollment, you may be able to have your work-study funds reinstated and begin working again. Please keep in mind that if you fall below half time credits in the course of a term, you will lose your work-study eligibility.

What expenses can I pay with my federal work-study earnings?

The federal work-study program was created to give students the opportunity to earn money while in school. These earnings can be used to pay for educational expenses such as tuition and fees, or to assist with rent, food, books, and personal expenses.

Have More Questions? Please contact the Financial Aid Office at financialaid@nunm.edu.